Alopecia Treatments That Work For African American Hair Loss
Alopecia is a medical problem that is commonly experienced by majority of individuals. This medical term simply means hair loss, and any person will likely encounter this condition either in its mild, temporary, or more severe forms. According to experts, African-American men and women are more susceptible to Alopecia because of the genetic nature of their hair which is thick, dry, and brittle. All other known causes of hair loss may also be observed with African-American individuals, they include: the possibility of auto-immune disorders or hormonal imbalances, caused by other existing medical conditions, emotional and mental stress and fatigue, or simply the result of stress and tension experienced with regular grooming.
The following are the existing and most common alopecia treatments that work for African-American hair loss:
- Minoxidil. Among the few drugs that the US Food and Drug Administration approved as effective in treating alopecia or hair loss is minoxidil. Dependent on the severity of the hair loss condition, the doctor may prescribe less or higher concentrations of the formula. With alopecia, the life cycle of hair follicles usually hastens thereby causing its early shrinkage and eventual hair loss. Minoxidil works by counteracting this tendency; the drug helps in prolonging the growth cycle of hair follicles and triggers hair growth. For those unfamiliar with the drug, Minoxidil is an active ingredient of most hair growth products available in the market including the popular Rogaine brand.
- Finasteride. Another medical solution that can be prescribed to African-American persons who suffer alopecia or hair loss is finasteride. This treatment is ideal if the hair loss concern is brought by hormonal imbalances or auto-immune problems. Unlike minoxidil that is usually used as a topical cream or solution, finasteride is taken orally similar to a pill. Most doctors prescribe it for males but recent studies have also concluded that it is beneficial for women as well.
- Oral Contraceptives. Although contraceptives are traditionally used for birth control, recent medical studies have also shown their capabilities when it comes to Alopecia or hair loss especially the low androgen formulations. The pills are usually prescribed for African-America women whose hair loss problems are the androgenetic types of Alopecia.
Aside from the numerous concocted drugs or topical solutions, laser technology has also been used as solutions for hair loss problems. According to cosmetic experts, laser heat and light energy applied with the right intensity can activate hair follicles and eventually trigger the growth of new hair. There are cosmetic clinics with specialized machines that offer hair loss treatment sessions. On the other hand, there is also a growing clamor for the handheld laser combs or similar devices that can personally be used at home.
Natural and Practical Solutions that Can Be Undertaken by African-American Men and Women
If the hair loss problem is not that serious or is simply caused by stress and strain, the following natural and practical solutions should be of help.
- Changing the way the hair is styled. Compared to other races, African-American hair is more exposed to stressful grooming. The curly, wavy, and dry nature of hair oftentimes require a person to apply larger amounts of chemical-based hair relaxant, hot oil, strengtheners, or perhaps to style the hair by braiding, tight ponytails, buns, etc. As early as the initial signs of traction alopecia are observed, it is ideal to change the way you style or groom your hair regularly to relieve the stress and strain that it experiences.
- The use of natural oils or topical solutions. Alternative medications also work for African-American hair loss. Some of the noted oils used as ingredients for natural sprays or topical solutions include olive, mustard, argan, baobab, the essential oils, and many others.Show
- treatment of alopecia in black women
- alopecia treatment for african american women
- alopecia treatments that work
- alopecia on black men
- hair loss for african ametican hair
- african american hair growth solutions
- african american hair treating alopecia
- african american hairloss blogs
- african american males suffering from alopecia
- Minoxidil for Hair Loss in Females Share Many women throughout the world experience hair loss...
- Laser hair removal for African American skin nyc Share African American get laser hair removal. This question is...
- Can African Americans Get Laser Hair Removal? Share Can African Americans Get Laser Hair Removal – Laser...
- Interesting All Natural Hair Loss Remedies: Yogurt, Oil, Coconut & Honey Share Interesting All Natural Hair Loss Remedies: Yogurt, Oil, Coconut...
- THYROID DISEASE: CAN CAUSE HAIR LOSS. Why? Share THYROID DISEASE: CAN CAUSE HAIR LOSS. Why? Many women...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.